Monday, August 13, 2018

The Distorted Mirror?




The Distorted Mirror?

A pair of Pardalotes flew outside my window,
their black crowns sparkling with snow white dots
the female beaked hay from the hanging pot

while the cock flew at his reflection
thrusting his bright yellow breast against the glass
saying 'Look at me, look and see. What a buck I am!'

Then he glanced in the mirror on the courtyard wall
and spotted a rival - what a handsome chap
with his fine night head festooned with stars

and he said to the female, his new found mate
'Check out this boy, such an impudent fellow
to flutter so close with his looks and his charm

so utterly gauche when our deed is done,
sure his breast is brown where mine is yellow,
a golden sun to warm your nest, and the down

of our young.' Then the female she dropped the hay
from her beak and flew in the face of the mirror.
'Here's a fine looking gal, far better than I,

she will turn his head but I'll live with that.
I so want the cutie who appeared before
instead of Old Mate with his bangs at my door.'

And the pair of Pardalotes were up and away.
Was this a game that each year they play?
I really don't know. They are just birds.
I simply relate all I saw and I heard.



No comments:

  Drowning in Blue “ Ever had one of those moments when you flip down the sunvisor and a huntsman drops into your lap? Guess who I bum...